Correct, I am a dork

Friday, April 4, 2008

Mash Ups

I went through a bit of a Mash-Up craze last year. I was thinking I might get into it again with the new Radiohead deal. More bands should be getting on this, I did an assignment for KCB102 once proposing a business model for 'Palimpsestic People' - basically an Itunes for samples. Similar to CCmixster I spose...but with good stuff on it.

I'll give you the story.
The first time I had a lecture from Axel Bruns was in the aforementioned KCB102 and he mentioned that he had a blog. I visited this blog - as such was my studiousness at the time - and was delighted to find a strange ambience cd he created called
Iceworld.
From that moment I new I was destined to use it in a mash up.

Aaaanyway, I was listening to him talk about mash ups on a podcast one day and realised it was about time i took my procrastination seriously and had a go at a mash up.
So I stole (ok ok, I redacted under creative commons agreement) parts of 'Autumn Departures' and put a dope as beat behind it (it's actually a dude beatboxing, which always makes me laugh) and took all of Axel's great catchphrases from the podcast onto it, occasionally doing some trippy stuff with his voice.
To be honest, I can't really remember what else I did to it...

There are two versions, the first was the original I posted on websites and then 5 minutes after doing so i realised there were a lot of things about it that annoyed me, so i spent another 30 minutes on it and made it a lot better (in my opinion anyway).

Here they are:

Snurbmix (Version 1) by James Parker (feat Axel Bruns). (Download)

Snurbmix (Version 2) by James Parker (feat Axel Bruns). (Download)


Then I made 'Check out the disillusion' - a mash up of 'Check it out' by the Beastie Boys and 'Disillusion' by Brisbane's own pure, unadulturated hardcore rock band, Shouting At Mary. It also uses samples from CCMixter and by memory I used some samples from some Fort Minor song. There are some bad words in this one, so block your ears kiddies.

Check Out The Disillusion - Shouting At Mary vs. Beastie Boys (
Download)

*I've had to remove the streaming players as they stopped functioning correctly and it's taking me too long to try and fix it...

No comments: